Wednesday 16 January 2008

Interesting Cheshire Churches Part I

St Johns Parish Church, High Legh.


Saint Mary's Church, High Legh.


Knutsford High Street.

Tatton Hall is visible in the distance.

Yesterday I had to go to Lymm in Cheshire, the County just South of Lancashire, where I live. Nearby to Lymm is the village of High Legh, where I found St John's Church, a lovely timber framed building which has more than a touch of New England about it. This part of Cheshire is full of Country Houses and fine villages, blessed with peculiar Churches, built be the wealthy landowners who were as keen to have the latest in Church Design as they were in Mansion. High Legh is also home to the one-time Chapel of Ease of St Mary which I found in a most unlikely location. It is in the middle of a modern housing estate, the Church built on a plot of land very similar in size to those of the surrounding houses. It is well fenced off, with no access and no sign betraying it's denomination, owner, contact for use, use or any hint of it's ever being open. I was fascinated and can also find no information about it on the internet, save that it was used for ordination by Liberal Catholics in the 1950's and again recently by a seemingly discontinued Communion. I would love to know more if anyone can help me.


After this visit, I went to Knutsford and was enchanted to find myself following on behind a trap down the High Street. The High Street leads into the Tatton Park Estate, where I enjoyed a drive and a look at the deer on this (very long) detour home.