Friday 24 October 2008

Yesterday and Today.


Yesterday evening, I braved a dreary Manchester evening to enjoy dinner at the Charles Halle restaurant in the Bridgewater Hall, and a fantastic concert by the Halle Orchestra, Manchester's resident group. The Rendering of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring was impeccable, conducted by Markus Stenz. The three soloists playing for Beethoven's Triple Concerto in C for piano, cello and violin were also profoundly accomplished. The other treat was sitting adjacent to Professor George Brookes in the restaurant. George is one of the world's foremost authorities on the Dead Sea Scrolls and something of a dapper Indiana Jones, I am told, when out 'in the field'.

Today has been spent, well, busily. I will have more of interest to report tomorrow, after my happy trip to the butchers. I am in a dilemma, though. There is a book which has just been reprinted, Eric Gill's illustrated Four Gospels, in the most perfect replica of the original printing and binding. It is bound, indeed, in goat hide, sorry Thom. It is also three hundred pounds. Do I sell everything I own and buy it or forgo the utility bills? I am in danger of becoming obsessed about this, so advice, please!