Monday 16 June 2008

Sunday Afternoon.




I was passing the Holy Name on Oxford Road on Sunday afternoon at about four and I remembered that there is an Old Rite Mass at that time. As many of you will know, I have a great love for the English Missal, which is the Tridentine Rite in English (mainly) and knowing that the Holy Name would do it well, I went in, for purposes both spiritual and educational. I was pleased to see the re-pointing and cleaning of the sanctuary had finished, so the Church was shown in something approaching the glory it had many years ago. I remember coming here as a small child with my Grandmother for a Mothers' Union rally, when the Jesuits ran the Church and marvelling at the High Altar. I am afraid that I was so bored though I toddled off and hid under the great pulpit amongst the marble columns! This time around, I was able to immerse myself in the beauty and quiet of the Old Mass and reinforce my opinion that every Parish of our persuasion needs a weekly English Missal Mass to be quiet and encounter God in, this has always been one of my intentions so pray, if you be that way inclined, for it's fulfillment.

Can I take this opportunity to thank you all for reading this blog? I have been particularly pleased, given the constant increase in visitor numbers, that there has been a correlative rise in comments as well. I do not moderate comments and have had, since the early days, no cause to either. What a civilised bunch you are! Either that or I am just so anodyne and dull I never upset anyone. And what after the Mass? I went home and now I am off to theological College to soak up some more heresy!