Saturday 27 October 2007

Autumn in Chorlton.

This way....
Down here,
Theres my old flat.
And the river.

I used to live in Chorlton-Cum-Hardy, in south Manchester and I revisited there this friday and, you know the script by now, having a couple of hours to spare, spent them wandering around the meadows at the back of my old flat. Here, as always, are some pictures of my wanderings! I saw some wild mushrooms growing as I walked around but, not having my little identifier book with me, was a little wary of picking them. However, I do love Hare with wild mushrooms at this time of the year, thickened with the reserved blood. Some of you will not want to know that, so skip on to the next post as fast as you can.
Jugged Hare.
1 Hare or Large Rabbit Blood from the Hare or Rabbit 4 rashers Bacon 2 Onions 1 Lemon 15g (½ oz) Butter 1 tbsp Plain Flour 1 Bouquet Garni 6 Cloves 1 tsp Ground Allspice Seasoned Flour Port Salt and Black Pepper, Wild Mushrooms.

Preheat the oven to 170°C: 325°F: Gas 3. Chop the bacon and onion, zest the lemon. Lightly coat the joints of the hare with flour and place in a flame-proof casserole dish. Add the herbs, bacon, onion, spices, lemon zest and seasoning. Cover with water, bring slowly to the boil. Cover and transfer to the oven for 2 - 2½ hours or until the hare is tender. Remove the hare, onions and bacon with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Discard the bouquet garni and the cloves. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Gradually add the cooking liquid and stirring continuously until thickened. Stir in the blood and add port to taste, mix well and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Pour the sauce over the hare and serve with redcurrant jelly and sauteed wild mushrooms.